Saturday, February 9, 2008

Sabbath...a day of rest.

Well it's cold here! -11 right now with some very wicked winds. Guess it's worse out of town....we didn't have church today. I don't remember the last time we had to cancel church because of weather. It doesn't look too bad from in the nice warm house. But cold is cold. Glen says it's suppose to snow tomorrow. That probably won't be good if the winds are still blowing like this.

I've been reading alot today and want to share just a bit from the book "Swimming against the Current.....Living for the God you Love" by Chris Blake. The title of this short story is Fred Flinstone and Joy.
He is writing about Sabbath. I think it is good since today is Sabbath and we were just home and it is ok.
These words where taken from Rob Bell, in Velvet Elvis, rhapsodizes about Sabbath:
" Sabbath is taking a day a week to remind myself that I did not make the world and that it will continue to exist without my efforts.
Sabbath is a day when my work is done, even when it isn't.
Sabbath is a day when my job is to enjoy. Period.
Sabbath is a day when I am fully available to myself and to those I love most.
Sabbath is a day when I produce nothing.
Sabbath is a day when I remind myself that I am not a machine.
Sabbath is a day when at the end I say, 'I didn't do anything today,' and I don't add, 'And I feel so guilty.'
Sabbath is a day when my phone is turned off, I don't check my email, and you can't get ahold of me.
Jesus wants to heal our souls, wants to give us the shalom of God. And so we have to stop. We have to slow down. We have to sit still and stare out the window and let the engine come to an idle. We have to listen to what our inner voice is saying."

Today is Sabbath...and for you, tomorrow is maybe your Sabbath. Rest my friend! Take it all in. He has given us this day to refresh. Life is hard....He knew it was not going to be an easy road for anyone and still He cared enough to provide a single day set aside to regroup. What an Awesome God. I love the Sabbath day. Sometimes I feel like I am a bit selfish in just hanging out at home, sleeping, etc. I do read and study too!! :) And I do check me email and answer the phone (if it's someone I want to talk to! :) I just know that if God has something for me to do on His Sabbath....I need to be available to do whatever it is He asks and I am willing to do that. Happy Sabbath!

No comments: