Thursday, January 6, 2011

Memories of Grandma

The cousins with grandma..........

and sadly, but with happy memories...without her...
Grandma Elsie
Just had to say goodbye to a really sweet Grandma so I thought I'd just do a post about her and what I remember the most about her.
Here are some of the many things I remember about her:
Donuts...she only made the best!
Lefse...I've tried to make it, but I've come to the conclusion that it will never be as good as hers.
Divinity....she could whip that stuff up like nobody's business and I think it always turned out.
Popcorn...I don't know what she did to make her popcorn taste so good!! And she always served it in that black roaster pan. :)
Cheesies....or otherwise known to everyone else as Cheetos. She always had a bag of them in her cupboard just for us kids.
Her garden.....always plentiful so that meant shelling peas, shucking corn, cutting beans, picking strawberries....
I recall her "laundry day" using the ringer washer. What a cool machine! :)
I unfortunately remember butchering chickens...ewe!
And who can forget playing marbles with Grandma?? :) She might have cheated a bit here and there, but I'm sure it wasn't on purpose.....
Her toy box was filled with legos and old perfume bottles.
Oh how we had fun with those.
Of course there were those few times when us kids would get into a bit of trouble by disobeying, but she still didn't get to upset with us (we won't talk about the time Shelley and I took that unplanned airplane ride without permission or the time we snuck out of the tent!)he he
She loved each one of her grandkids all the same and that really is what made her so special.
We will all miss that sweet silly grandma that often took the back seat to grandpa and quietly listened, sometimes snickered, but mostly loved!



No comments: