Friday, March 20, 2009

Sharing my heart with a green pepper.

I have something I want to share, but I am not a writer, so hang with me, if you can. :)
I love analogy's, illustrations, etc. And that's where this post will go.
Yesterday I bought ingredients for a pasta salad I need to make for the weekend. I had a green pepper that was just lovely, crispy, green...mmmm...well that is until I cut it opened! It was BLACK inside!!! Like really gross black! I immediately dropped the pepper back into the sink and backed away. How in the world did this happen to that beautiful green pepper, and what was it?? I grabbed a plastic bag (I no longer wanted to touch it) and picked it up out of the sink and threw it in the garbage....and the garbage went out to the dumpster! Now I have to buy a new green pepper. I needed it, that's one of the reason's I bought it, but I did not have a problem throwing it away that's for sure!
It made me think about our hearts ~ mine.
On the outside I think I'm a pretty good person, I smile, I work, I do good things, I take a shower everyday ~well ok, I miss a Sunday or two once in a while.
Overall, I'm clean, I'm good.
BUT
what does my heart really look like?
I am seeing some things that make me think it might be kinda black inside too.
And I am not ok with that!
Although I like the color black, in spiritual talk black does not represent God so
what does it represent?
White ~ like those seeds where suppose to be ~ is like God. Black ~ like those seeds where ~ represents ~ I hate to even say it, but ok, evil. How's that? I'm telling you those seeds were UGLY!!! Scary even.
I threw that pepper away ~ but thank goodness I have a Father that loves me no matter what and He forgives me ~ AND He can change my ugly heart! How exciting is that!! :)
I don't have to be thrown away.
He tells us in 1 Samuel 10:8-10 that "As Saul turned to leave Samuel, God changed Saul's heart, and all these signs were fulfilled that day".
Here's a favorite of mine Psalm 51:10
"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me."
As you listen to the video to one of my favorite songs...
let God change your heart if that's what it needs.

Change my heart oh God, make it ever true.
Change my heart oh God, may I be like You.
You are the potter, I am the clay, mold me and make me, this is what I pray.


I'm off to spend the weekend with the girls from the Dakota Conference Women's Ministries planning team. I think I will be blessed and hopefully get my heart cleaned up a bit. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You made a really good analogy :) I never think of such creative things like that! And your blog layout is adorable!!